Thursday, December 13, 2012

A Pause


I woke up to the sound of rain and thoughts that in less than twenty days all the comforts I have grown to love and need will be far away; they will temporarily be replaced by people and sounds and patterns I do not yet know. The darkness and cold will be new realities, too; I've heard the darkness can be quite comforting and its stillness conducive to quiet thinking without distraction. I'm curious to see if I will feel the same way.

But now I lie awake at 3:49 in the morning, relishing the sounds and sensations of my "normal" life, unable to imagine how I will feel when I move to the other side of the world. I'm sure I will love the experience once I'm in it, but right now it's difficult to understand what it is that pushes me to do things out of my comfort zone. I'm driven to do such things, I know, because I believe in working to improve education and I have a great love of adventure, but for now I stay still, simply grateful, grateful for the sound of the rain, the people and life I love, and the comforts of my own home.

No comments:

Post a Comment